Masters in Public Health in Nigeria: Full Details.
Masters in Public Health in Nigeria… Public Health is a relevant course to study, one that concerns life and is pretty much acceptable in the society. The relevance of this course can never be over emphasized.
Masters in Public Health in Nigeria
The definition: Public health refers to “the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting human health through organized efforts and informed choices of society, organizations, public and private, communities and individuals.” It is concerned with threats to health based on population health analysis. (Wikipedia)
Now, public health is not limited to individuals but to the public too, which is why having a Masters degree would really advocate you working as a public health analyst or director.
To study public health in any of our Nigerian Universities, you need to have prerequisite studyin any of the science courses in the degree level before advancing to the Masters level.
Here are the certificates/requirements to study Public health; though admission requirements diver depending on universities but these are the basic requirements;
- a) A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree with second class honours in relevant discipline, or Postgraduate Diploma at Credit or Higher level in the relevant discipline, or equivalent qualification.
- d) MPA applicants must have a minimum of five years postgraduate working experience.
You may be asking yourself what career opportunities are open for those who study Public Health. As a public health Masters Degree holder, you are expected to be able to;
- Analyze and interpret health data.
- Describe the distribution and determinants of disease, disabilities and death in human populations.
- Evaluate the environmental factors that affect the health of a community.
- Analyze the planning, organization, administration and policies of health care organizations.
- Apply the concepts and methods of social justice and social and behavioral sciences relevant to the identification and solution of public health problems.
Where to apply?
You can apply in university of your choice that offers master degree in Public Health.
There are lots of employment opportunities for public health practitioners which include;
- Disaster and Emergency Specialist
- Natural Science Manager
- Public Health Nurse
- Water Quality Planner
- Healthcare Manager
- Public Health Educator
- Environmental Health Scientist
- Public Health Practitioner
- Infectious Disease Specialist
- Private Healthcare Consultant
- Nutrition Health Advisor
- Health Policy Associate
- Biomedical Scientist
- International Healthcare Worker
- Health Services Administrator
- Occupational Health Specialist
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Research Assistant